At Net Zero Atlantic, we're helping Atlantic Canada move toward a more sustainable energy future by producing credible and objective data to inform sound energy policies and decisions. Our focus is on coordinating research and projects that will help to decarbonize our region’s economy, mitigating climate change impacts and moving Atlantic Canada toward net-zero emissions by 2050. Our clients include government and industry representatives who need complete and reliable information to guide thinking and action.
We are changing the way energy research is delivered. We’re in the business of facilitating collaborative, made-to-order research projects that resolve key energy-related questions. We are growing fast and are seeking a Python Developer to provide technical support to our team.
Over the last year, we developed the first open-source energy system model for Atlantic Canada to enable our region to make informed decisions on our path towards a carbon-neutral future. We are now looking to engage a Python Developer to maintain and improve upon technical components of the energy system model. The successful applicant will be responsible for:
- Managing the operation and further development of a cloud-deployed version of the energy system model,
- Implementing a solution to provide automated visualizations of energy system model results, and
- Ensuring good user experience and conscientious error handling for users of Net Zero Atlantic’s energy system model.
Your qualifications include the following front-end and back-end programming & systems operations skills:
- Fluent in Python with experience using virtual environments for data science applications,
- Familiarity with Django and Flask frameworks,
- Experience with deploying a production Django application, including managing SSL certificates and establishing a reliable deployment pipeline,
- Familiarity with AWS cloud services & opinions on server architecture,
- Experience implementing background queueing systems using Redis, Memcached or similar,
- Familiarity with managing SQLite queries and connections,
- Knowledge of Linux operations tooling to monitor and maintain memory-intensive applications,
- Background in information security and best practices for server hardening and safe handling of API keys,
- Written communication skills to clearly document complex technical systems, and
- Knowledge of CASL and other software regulations
Assets (but not required):
- Knowledge of energy system modelling
If interested in this employment opportunity, please respond with a resume and cover letter in one PDF document by Friday, June 30th, 2022. We thank all applicants, however only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Net Zero Atlantic is committed to the principles of Employment Equity. We encourage applications from qualified women, visible minorities, Indigenous peoples, people identifying at LGBTQ2SI, and people with disabilities. This opportunity is restricted to Canadian citizens, permanent residents, or persons who have been granted Refugee status in Canada.
Please note, to be considered for a career opportunity at Net Zero Atlantic you must have received the full series of Covid-19 vaccine approved by Health Canada and provide proof of immunization. You will also be required to receive any Covid-19 boosters recommended by Health Canada.
Please apply to:
Ms. Nalani Perry, Operations Manager